Are you ready for the festive holiday and looking for ways to save money? Protect your vehicle and your home this holiday and follow our insurance tips to prepare for the festive season.
It’s really important to make sure your insurance details are up to date and valid. During the December holidays, things tend to get a bit chaotic on the roads. Ensure your car and house safety by making sure you’re prepared and your insurance is good to go.
Without further ado… let’s have a look at a few insurance tips to prepare for the festive season.
Being on the roads during the festive season can be frightening. Many people are driving around in a hurry to get to their destinations. Make sure you do the necessary safety checks and are covered for all your needs before any trips.
- Check that your vehicle license is renewed. A lot of people struggled with getting their licenses sorted during lockdown and Covid has made it difficult to get it organized since the offices were closed. You must get your car license up to date!
- Make sure all the people who drive your car have their driving license renewed and up to date as well. It’s also a good idea to make sure their names are included as drivers on your insurance policy. If not, contact your insurer and find how you can update your policy details. The sooner, the better!
- Ensure that any external storage/transport units on your car are well-fitted and you don’t exceed the weight limit of packing. If your car is too heavy and unbalanced you increase the risk of getting into or causing an accident.
- Do a complete vehicle check for road safety! Get your tyres checked, and if possible, get a full car service done before a road trip or any long-distance driving.
- Don’t drink and drive! If you’re attending a Christmas party and have a couple of drinks, do not take a risk and drive back home. Rather ask a friend to drive you back or call a driver such as Uber to take you home instead. Remember, drinking and driving will look bad on your insurance records as you are then considered a high-risk client.
Your home insurance is just as important and should be taken seriously during this busy time of year. Being road safety savvy is one thing, but don’t forget to take extra precautions for your home insurance too. Here are a few home insurance tips to prepare for your December holidays:
- If you’re going away on holiday, we highly recommend you test your alarm system, check & secure all locks and notify your home insurance provider and security response service that you’ll be away.
- Switch off your geyser to avoid the possibility of it bursting. This also helps you save electricity while you’re away. It’ll also help to turn off any main plugs which will not be needed.
- Consider getting home contents insurance for valuables such as laptops, TV’s, cameras etc. if you’ll be leaving them behind while going away.
- Notify a trusted friend or neighbour that you’ll be away and ask them to check in on your house and collect your mail for you. Leaving mail to pile up in your letterbox is a dead giveaway to potential criminals that no-one’s home.
There is a significant increase in traffic over the festive season and a higher risk of road accidents. It’s important to take the precautions you can to protect yourself, your family and your vehicle.
Do not forget the same preparation should be applied to your home too! If you’re going away for the holidays and currently do not have home insurance or home contents insurance, now may be a good time to consider investing in it, even if it’s just over the holidays.
Follow our insurance tips to prepare for the festive season and be better safe than sorry. If you need guidance on insurance policies, contact Quality Quote to help you find a home or vehicle insurance quote suitable for your budget.
Stay safe and Happy Holidays to all!