road accident fund

As a vehicle owner or general driver on the roads, knowing about the RAF (Road Accident Fund) is imperative. Following road safety rules and regulations is in your best interest for the safety of you and your family, and for others on the road. However, accidents happen and not everyone can be fully prepared for them.

The road accident fund is a South African funded financial cover for people who have been severely injured or affected by a road accident that is not their fault.

What does the RAF cover?

The RAF provides financial compensation for injuries sustained or death from accidents caused by motor vehicles on South African roads. The RAF cover helps the financial burden for victims and their families who have been affected by bodily injury and/or death.

The Road Accident Fund is also available to foreigners who are in the country.

It covers accident victims and their families with personal insurance cover, and indemnity cover for individuals who are the cause of the accident.

raf cover

Who can claim?

If you are a driver, passenger, motorcyclist, pedestrian, or cyclist who was involved in an accident that is not your fault, you can claim from the Road Accident Fund. Remember, both South African citizens and foreigners can make a claim if they are the victim of an accident on the roads within South African borders.

You can make an RAF claim if any of the following apply:

  • You were injured in an accident that you were not responsible for
  • You are the family member of a person or persons who died in an accident
  • You are the spouse, child, or another relative of the person who died and relied on the income, or if they were the sole income provider for the family
  • If you were the driver responsible for the accident but not the owner of the vehicle, you can make a claim if the cause of the accident was a problem with the vehicle, such as faulty brakes or another problem that is a result of the car owner’s negligence

We recommend reading this article by DSC Attorneys for more information on how the claim process works in the case of the tragic loss of a family member.

You are not able to claim if:

  • You are responsible for the accident and the owner of the vehicle that caused the accident
  • You were the only one involved in and affected by the accident. For example, if you crashed into something but the accident wasn’t caused by an obstacle in the road or road hazards

What is the process of making an RAF claim?


The process of making a Road Accident Fund claim is known to be a lengthy process that takes a while. That’s why we recommend you get a good attorney to help you through the case and get it sped up a little. Without an attorney, the investigation can take a few years and you need to wait for your claim to be accepted first.

The claim must be made within 3 years of the accident, and you’ll need all the required documentation to support your claim. Depending on the accident and position you’re in, the general requirements are an accident report, police affidavit, doctor’s report, witness statements, and other details and documents of the incident such as damages of the vehicle and reports of all victims involved.


The Road Accident Fund of South Africa is a type of compulsory cover for victims involved in accidents on the road.

The RAF is funded by the levy we pay on petrol and diesel. If you are a victim of a road accident or have lost a family member in an accident, you can make a claim for hospital expenses, support for a dependent deceased victim (If they were the sole income provider), general damages for severe bodily pain and injury and necessary funeral expenses.

As you can see, there is hope and support for those involved in accidents who do not have insurance. Although the RAF is an option, it only covers personal injury or death, it doesn’t cover the cost of damages to your vehicle. At Quality Quote, we highly recommend vehicle insurance to all our clients. Believe it or not, there is an insurance plan out there suitable for any budget!

Get a quick vehicle or home contents insurance quote from us on: