Roadside assistance is designed to help you if your car breaks down. But how can you tell when you need it? What does it cover? And does it cost anything? You’ve come to the right place for answers—here’s everything you need to know about how roadside assistance work:
How do you get roadside assistance?
The first step is to research and compare roadside assistance options. Most companies offer roadside assistance as a membership of sorts. There are many different kinds, so choosing one that will meet your needs and fit into your budget is important. You can find great deals online but check with your car insurance first if they offer roadside assistance.
Once you’ve decided which membership works best for you, sign up immediately! Having roadside assistance in place can prevent minor mishaps from becoming major headaches, but only if it’s available when needed.
Here are some common questions about roadside assistance:
What does roadside assistance cover?
- Breakdowns: Roadside assistance will come to your aid if your vehicle breaks down and can’t be driven on its own power
- Flat tyre changes
- Towing the vehicle to the nearest dealership
- Jammed doors: Your car door won’t open? They can unlock it for you
- Petrol to help you reach the nearest gas station
- Jumpstarts and battery tests
- Unlocking your car if you have locked yourself out
- Emergency medical assistance: in the case of an accident, roadside assistance will organize transportation and hospital admission for you
How much does roadside assistance cost?
The cost of roadside assistance depends on the type of cover you choose, and some providers offer discounts for multiple vehicles. You can get a quote online or call back to speak to a representative. The monthly cost you pay for membership also depends on the benefits they offer. Some companies offer special benefits to premium members.
What are the benefits of using roadside assistance?
- Save money on towing and recovery fees
- Avoid the hassle of being stuck on the side of the road
- Immediate response to your needs
- Reliable, trustworthy assistance to keep you safe on the roads
It’s excellent for your peace of mind, and your car. Roadside assistance is great to have no matter how careful you are because it can save you money and time. But what if you’re one of those people who think they’ll never need it? Well then maybe you should think again!
If your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere with no cell signal and no gas in sight, will you know who to call for help? Probably not — so here’s why having a good roadside assistance policy makes sense even if you don’t think of yourself as especially accident-prone:
- It could save your life. If your vehicle is broken down and stranded on the side of the highway in winter weather or summer heat, having someone come out and help get it going again could literally be a lifesaver. It prevents the stress that comes from being stuck without transportation; plus, getting home quickly after an emergency means less time spent worrying about what went wrong with your car or whether there really was something wrong with it at all.
- When there are no cell signals nearby (or when they’re spotty), calling road service directly is often easier than trying to arrange things over texts or calls. Some companies also have a mobile phone app that you can use to alert for immediate assistance.
Roadside assistance in South Africa is a great way to stay safe on the road and save money. How does roadside assistance work? Generally, you join a membership or club with roadside assistance benefits. You can also contact your car insurance provider and ask if they have an available roadside assistance plan. When you have roadside assistance, getting help is a single call away. Whether your car has broken down, you’ve locked yourself out, your tyre is flat, you need a jumpstart, or you’ve run out of fuel, you can just call for assistance.
With help from a team of experts, you will be able to explore different options for roadside assistance that fit your needs and budget so you can get back on the road quickly!
Check out our YouAssist program for affordable emergency assist solutions in South Africa. Our YouAssist plans start from as little as R90 per month.